The Crooked River Roundup is a Prineville / Crook County event first and foremost.  It is the heritage of Prineville, the Cowboy Capitol of Oregon that will be celebrated during the 1995 Golden Anniversary show.  Every person who has served on the board of directors, every person in the community that has volunteered time to help develop the facilities or sell tickets, or assist in any way is a big part of this celebration.  It is them that has made 50 years a reality, for with out them, this show would not be possible.

The accomplishments of the Roundup have been remarkable.  During the first 50 years we have donated much to our community.  The Fairgrounds as they now exist were deeded over to the Citizens of Crook County by the Roundup in 1972, paving the way for what has become a very major part of our community.  Many local groups have been able to generate income from the Roundup either through concession booths or through contracted service’s with the Roundup.

As we look back on the first 50 years and celebrate the event, let us not forget that it is about more than horses, bulls, and cowboys.  This event is about our community and our heritage. A heritage born of sage brush, juniper trees and working cowboys. One based on prize stock from local ranchers and cowboys who could ride as well as any in the world.

The Roundup is alive and kicking high going into its second half century.

As you read the history we have compiled, please keep in mind that in no way was any one rodeo, any one board of directors, or any event intentionally not included.  Sometimes we have had to sort out conflicting information.  Sometimes we just didn’t know or have a way to find out about certain events. We have tried to list as much of the history as space and time will allow, unfortunately, we need to be done in time for the real show, the Golden Anniversary Edition of the Crooked River Roundup.


It has been called “The Cowboy Capitol of Oregon”. Bucking horses, roping steers, and racing were popular very early in Crook County.

The corrals at Pringle Flat near Camp Creek and ranches near Paulina and Post were the early scenes of many early day roundups as the area’s ranchers and cowhands pooled their efforts to gather their cattle and separate them before winter.

Between 1916 and 1926 an October roundup brought these local Cowboys together.  Men who made their living out on the open range.  Men like Billie Rae, Roy Gray, Roy Ritter, Lance Smith, Frank Houston, Sumner Houston, Jim McCoullough, Frank McCoullough, Lester Morgan, Frank Morgan, and many others were the first participants of the Rodeo in Prineville.

The Houston brothers, Frank and Sumner, were both good riders.  Frank went on to win the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  Sumner lost his hand in an accident but still was an excellent rider.

Horse racing can be traced in Prineville as far back as 1880.  At that time a 1/2 mile track was laid out south of town near where the Stewart dam is located.  Carey Foster said that races were sometimes held directly down 3rd Street.

About 1900 a mile track was built where Crook County High School now stands, and in 1903 another track was built on the ground where the current Fairgrounds are located and a Fair association was formed.

In 1915 the Fair sold half of the ground and the track was reduced to the current 1/2 mile oval.

J.B. Shipp and Gardner Perry owned and operated the grounds until 1935 when Perry sold to M.D. Spreckles Jr. of San Francisco.

In 1936 Harry Walters bought it and in 1940 he sold to Robert Lister of Paulina, who in turn sold the grounds to Warren Raymond.  In 1945 when the Crooked River Roundup and Fair Association was formed they purchased the ground from Mr. Raymond.

During the war years there had not been any Rodeo’s and in 1944 with $320, a lot of energy and ambition, a group of local ranchers decided that Prineville needed a top notch Rodeo and decided to put one on.  Jess Cain lent them $1000 and Max Barber was contracted to provide stock.  Two weeks before the show he sold his stock.  Luck was with the local group as another contractor, Pat Fisk was available and he provided the stock for the rodeo for the sum of $1500.

Lew Lynn, a local auctioneer was the clown.  Lance Smith took charge of repairing and remodeling, Cain Hall was remodeled and when the Rodeo was over it had been a financial success and $850 was the profit.

After such a grand show the founders decided to make it a yearly event and to sell 120 shares of stock at $100.  Jess Cain sold all of the shares in 6 weeks. Since they needed a permanent site for the Roundup, they purchased the present grounds from the Raymond’s for $11,000 cash.  On September 2 and 3, 1945 the First Crooked River Roundup and 4-H Club Fair was held.

Orville Yancey was elected Chairman and Jess Cain as Treasurer.  Jerry Breese was a member of the original board of directors, and is the only member of the original board that is still living today.

Christiansen Bros of Eugene Oregon provided the stock for the show and ran the performance.  A Parade was held down town each day of the rodeo at 10 am.

The first queen of the Roundup was Fay Phillips.  She was selected on the basis of the amount of ticket sales she made.

The American Legion raised the US Flag as they have at each of the Roundup Rodeo performances since.  The Rim Rock Riders presented a 5 minute drill each day. The girls from the High School Pep Club served as ushers.

A Bridle Horse contest, Cow Cutting, and 4-H Club Fair were held during the two days.


For 8 years Jess Cain served as Treasurer and General Manager of the Crooked River Roundup.  At the age of 83 he was the honored guest of the 13th Crooked River Roundup.  He is still referred to as the “Father of the Roundup”, as he had been instrumental in establishing the professional rodeo in Prineville. Following is an excerpt from “The Pioneer Story” by Elsie Stover that was published in 1950.

“In 1945, Jess and Ina Cain moved to town, to Prineville. Sonny and his wife stayed on the ranch.  It looked at first like Jess might be through actually handling cattle, but not for long.  That fall, while they were getting used to living away from the ranch, the talk began to go around that Prineville needed a good, well run rodeo.  The talk caught at Jess’ imagination.  Sure,  he was 70 years old, but that didn’t seem like very old, not to Jess Cain.”

“A group of ranchers got together with Jess, they talked and talked some more, and then it was settled.  Jess was to manage it, with the life time of skill at managing things for success.  So they planned a rodeo out there at the grounds where it is today.  There wasn’t much in the way of accommodations, but there was a start.  Jess got stock from Pat Fisk for the first rodeo  and it turned out to be a whopping success.”

“That fall the Crooked River Roundup Association was organized, and Jess sold the stock at $100 a share.  He sold $12,000 worth, enough to build a decent grounds, and get started.  The association bought the land, built bleachers, and got set for another year.  Each year the rodeo has grown a little- each year it has been better with the shrewd, wise understanding of Jess Cain behind it, watching and making it grow.  This year the Crooked River Roundup will be the biggest in its history.  From nothing at the start, it now has a value in investment of $75,000.  Not a cent goes to cash profit. All has been put into the place itself.  As proud a record as there is anywhere, tribute to the proud spirit of the man behind it.”

In 1947 it was decided that all director’s shall dress alike. All 15 had shirts made with bucking horses on the back.

The purse for the Roundup in 1947 was $3,000.  In 1993 it had grown to $5,000, and for the 1995 “Golden Anniversary” Rodeo the added purse will be $8250. Purses for the Races will be close to $36,000.

1946 saw the fairgrounds get a major face lift.  New bucking chutes, new fences and a new foundation for the grandstand.  Covered seating was now available for nearly 5,000 spectators. A city block was dedicated for the 4-H Club Fair and 30 stalls were built for stock.  All of the buildings were repainted white with green roofs.  A sawdust arena, was built for showing the stock.  This was wet down each day to avoid wind and dust problems.

In 1947 arena lighting was mentioned as the High School could have night football games. Robert Lister suggested they have a night rodeo.  In 1948 the lights were installed, and the school district began holding night football games in the arena.  At this time the football games were held on the dirt surface. Revenue to the school increased dramatically due to the night games.  The Rodeo board sent a vote of thanks to the local Lion’s Club for their help in making night rodeo and football possible.

In 1948 the board issued and additional 100 shares of Roundup stock, with the proceeds to go for improvements to the grounds.

The Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs became a major part of the Roundup.  They would set up a Tepee village during the Roundup.  They stayed in the tents, rode in the parade and grand entries.  Notes from the history of the Roundup show that the Indian group was paid $50 and the Roundup would sponsor 2 Indian pony races.  They would need to bring 20 Tepees and at least 15 must perform in the parade and grand entry.  When times became lean in the early 1960’s, this was an expense that the board felt they could no longer afford.

In 1949 it was decided that down town merchants were to decorate the streets and the Roundup would purchase flags for future use.  All businesses were to close during the rodeo.

A Buckaroo breakfast was served on Sunday morning by the local VFW.  This was taken over by the Prineville Ridge Riders and is still a Saturday night till Sunday morning event i front of the grandstands.

In 1946 the queens contest was changed to 60% horsemanship and 40% ticket sales. Betty Terwilleger (Betty Jo Rhoden) was chosen queen.

The Roundup was 2 days at this time.  A Bridle horse contest was held before the Rodeo.  Many locals showed off the outstanding horsemanship and horses of the area in this event.  Christensen Brothers furnished the stock and Mel Lambert was the announcer.

In 1948 the Roundup went to 3 Rodeo performances.  All day Friday was the 4H club fair.  Saturday morning the parade was held downtown, cowhorse and bridle horse contests were held at 11 am and the Rodeo performance was in the afternoon.  The Sunday show saw a repeat of the Saturday schedule without the parade.

1950 saw the addition of steer roping.  The cowboy roped the steer around the horns and the trip was applied.  The steer would fall to the ground and the cowboy would dismount and tie 3 feet in similar fashion to the calf roping.  Steer roping was discontinued in 1960 and was replaced by team roping.  Steer roping was reintroduced as an event at the Roundup in 1990 and is part of the show today.

During the history of the Roundup there have been many local events. Local pony races, Indian pony races, kids calf scrambles, saddle horse races, local mounted drill teams, pony express races, chariot races, wild cow milking, mad scramble, local team roping, and the wild horse race.

In 1954 it was decided after much deliberation that the fair and the rodeo should split.  Fred Grimes replaced Jess Cain as manager.  The County Fairboard and the Roundup signed a 50 year lease for the 4-H corner of the “Roundup Grounds”.  If they held fair and roundup at different times, each group would have the use of the others facilities rent free, except that they could not interfere with the high school athletic program.

At the same time, the Roundup and the School Board entered into an agreement for use of the grounds for football games.  Better lights were added for the arena, and turf grass was planted.  For the rodeo contestants, the grass was slick for horses and many different surface coverings were tried to correct this.   Sand was tried and removed before football season. This did not work well, so Pine Products offered to furnish enough sawdust to cover the turf.  This proved to be dirty and slick, so in the later years of the turf, it was worked slightly and proved to be a satisfactory surface, although not the same as the dirt that is common in most arenas.  In the fall of 1973, the Crook County Cowboy’s played the last football in the “Cow Palace” and moved to the new Ward Rhoden Stadium in the fall of 1975. (In 1974 the football games were held on Saturday afternoon at the High School practice field)

During the late 50’s and early 60’s attendance at the Rodeo was down.  Cash flow became a real problem.  The split from the fair-rodeo combination had hurt.

Ronnie Raymond made his debut as a saddle bronc rider at the Roundup in 1956.  He drew “War Paint”, one of the great bucking horses ever and the one featured on the logo of the Roundup with Manuel Enos on board. Manuel had ridden War Paint earlier in 1956 at the rodeo in Redmond and won the event there.  The picture that is used as a logo was taken in 1957 here in Prineville.  Shortly after the picture, War Paint won and Manuel Enos ended up in some of Crook County’s fine soil.

Slim Pickens was clown here before he became such a movie great.  He dressed as a spanish bull fighter and called himself “Juan-El-Spit-On-The-Floor-El-Cuspidor.  When his movie career took off and he could no longer return for the Roundup, he said jokingly that the reason was he couldn’t compete with the local clowns. (This was said in reference to his friends Orrin Mills and Lance Smith who always seemed to be pulling a prank on Slim)

In 1958 we had a Roundup and Western Pow-Wow.  Kiwanis took over the Rodeo programs.  Queen was Gayle Austin and for the first time our queen was eligible for the Miss Rodeo Oregon contest.

In 1959 the Roundup became part of the Golden Triangle. It was composed of Eugene, Klamath Falls, and Prineville.  The purse paid $500 to the best “All Around Cowboy” of the 3 rodeos. In 1961 the Golden Triangle finals where held in Prineville.  There was a dispute over who won the trophy and it stayed here in Prineville for a long time.  This dispute also caused the breakup of the “Golden Triangle” group.

Cowboys during this era did not fly from one rodeo to another.  Some worked for the stock contractor and rodeoed on the weekends.  Manuel Enos drove truck for Christianson Brothers. Some like Bob Gatzeman and Harry Noble lived in trailers, traveling to a different rodeo each weekend with their families. Very few of the Cowboys would try to make 2 or 3 rodeo’s like is done now.

The Board of Directors would spend weeks working before the rodeo.  Much was in need of repair each year as the elements had taken their toll during the winter and spring.  Fences needed fixing, watering the grounds, cleaning out the horse barns, washing down the grandstands, and the now nearly 20 year old buildings were in constant need of paint.

This ensured the Roundup of one constant that would remain a part of the organization for the next 10 years, there was not enough money to go around.  The suggestion was made to borrow $1000 and cut the show to 2 days.  Service clubs that ran the concessions were asked to give a percentage of their profits to the Roundup. In 1962 as money problems continued, the Friday night performance of the Rodeo was eliminated.  This reduced the expense, while the ticket sales for the remaining performances increased.

In 1964 Roscoe Hopper had full charge of ticket sales. Roscoe held this job for 6 years. He set up shop in the Bowman Museum.  This downtown ticket outlet along with the work Roscoe did helped to stabilize ticket sales and in turn stabilize the cash flow of the Roundup.

Also in 1964, Quarter horse racing was added to the Rodeo performance. Hugh Rockwood furnished an electric starting gate to start the races.  This racing was a prelude of what was to come in the future.

1966 was a big year for the Roundup.  Horse Racing- The Sport of Kings made its official debut to the Roundup.  Parimutuel wagering was offered.  Tickets were sold through windows cut into the back of the Grandstand.  The tickets sold in those days were pre printed.  After the race started, sales had to be hand calculated by the volunteers that manned the windows.  The “totalizator board” amounted to a volunteer with a large chalkboard that would write the “odds” on the chalkboard.

In 1968 the Rodeo made another bold move.  This was the first “official” Roundup Rodeo without Christiansen Brothers furnishing the stock.  Ronnie Raymond and the Double R Rodeo Co. took over.  With the change was another change.  Ronnie felt that if the Board of Directors would move the Rodeo from the first week in August to the Second weekend in July the Roundup would be able to draw contestants who would be in the area for some large 4th of July shows.  It worked, entries into the rodeo increased.  Ronnie brought in some excellent stock, and the 1968 show was of excellent quality.

Ronnie Raymond was darn sure one heck of a cowboy, and a darn good promoter.  He furnished stock for the Roundup until 1977 when he quit the contracting business to pursue other interests. Ronnie used a horse by the name of Rocky to pickup bucking horses. Rocky was special in that he was a NFR bucking horse as well.  One year at the show, there was 1 team entered in the mad scramble more that the amount of “wild horses” in the chutes. To solve the problem, Ronnie offered to let them use Rocky with a flank strap. The seemingly gentle saddle horse looked darn good to the young men on the team, so they agreed.  Rocky, an old pro at the game made quick work of the team.  Ronnie resaddled Rocky and proceeded to pick up bucking horses. Ronnie remained a supporter of the local shows, both the Roundup and the Paulina Rodeo until his untimely death in 1994.

During the 1970’s the Board worked hard.  Racing improved and was no longer a financial burden to the Rodeo.  Grounds were in constant need of improvement.

1972 saw the Roundup make a bold move.  At this time, laws were being changed in Salem to force non- profit organizations to pay property taxes on the property they owned.  What was facing the board was certain bankruptcy unless something was done.  The cash reserves were nil. The idea came up to deed the Roundup grounds over the Crook County at now cost.  In return the Roundup would get 5 years of free rent and the Community would get the grounds to develop and operate on a year round basis.  This would allow the grounds to be open to the public, as the Roundup had been forced to close the gates much of the year due to the financial burden keeping them open caused. Also, Crook County had access to Federal and State grants and revenue sharing programs to help update the facilities. This could never have taken place if the Roundup had not deeded the ground over to the County.  It was a smart move, and frankly, the only viable choice the Roundup Directors and Stockholders had at the time.

In 1978, Joe Kelsey of Tonasket, Washington was selected as the stock contractor for the Roundup.  Joe brought in a group of great bucking stock. One of the notables was a bull by the name “Red One”.  This bull was selected as the top bucking bull of the country one year.  Joe and Sonny Kelsey again brought a little higher level of professionalism to the show.  It continued to rebound from the dark days of the early 60’s.  Change is good.

1979 saw an extraordinary set of circumstances take place.  The county had acquired a grant to build a first class indoor arena on the grounds.  This would allow for more indoor events and full, year round use of the fairgrounds.  The original plan was only to build an indoor arena.  While the design process was taking place, problems were found with the existing wooden grandstand.  Dry rot had left the northern most portion of the building in a condition of possible collapse if it were filled with people.  A big decision was made by the county under the leadership of County Judge Dick Hoppes. The old grandstand was to be torn down.  The indoor arena project would be scaled back, and the money saved would be used to build the new metal grandstand.

In early 1979, the old grandstand was torn down.  The decisions on design of the new grandstand were done as quickly and as cost effective as possible.  Work began in early Spring, and progress at a frantic pace.  Also, there was a lot of things to be done that were outside of the contractors. Crook County, the Fairboard, and the Roundup worked together to build a new Jockey’s Room, Paddock, and Parimutuel building.  Food booths needed to be moved to fit in the new layout.  The grandstand was repositioned in comparison to the racetrack, so about half of the racetrack had to be rebuilt.  Lighting needed to be redone on the racetrack, as most of the races were ran after dark.  Much was to be done, and not a lot of time remained until the show.

Snoden DeBoard was President of the Roundup that year. Snoden, Duaine and Mike Mizer, Art and Doug Smith, Jerry Sitzman, Pete Sturza, Von Thompson, and many other directors and volunteers worked every night and every weekend for what seemed an eternity to try and get the facility in shape.  They were doing well, but the show was getting close to.

Regular meetings were held weekly to oversee the progress and plan direction for the next week.  At one such meeting, barely a month before the show a motion was brought before the board to cancel the 1979 Roundup.  Before the vote was taken on the motion, Snoden and the gang left the meeting and went back to work with preparations for the show.  The work got right down to the wire.  On Saturday, 2 weeks prior to the Roundup, a work party was held with an request to the community for help.  About 50 people showed up, and the work began.  The day was rainy and cold, but the volunteers kept working all day.  One volunteer that really made an impression on the board was Cecil Sly.  He was retired, and older than most of the others working that day, but Cecil showed the energy of someone half is age and kept pushing the rest to get one job done and go on to the next. That Saturday the outside fence on the racetrack was completed, the box seats were put back into the grandstand, the Parimutuel Room was completed, the track lighting was redone and the rodeo arena fencing was redone to a point that the Rodeo could be held.  After that one Saturday with Cecil Sly and a group of volunteers we realized that there was nothing that this community could not accomplish if we put our heads down and made it happen.

The rebuilding of 1979 ended up with the local electrical contractor, Prineville Electric finishing the wiring of the grandstand lights for the track no earlier than after the racing card on Wednesday had already began, but Archie Hollis and his crew had the lights working by dark.  The Rodeo and Races were held in what is still the finest facility for Rodeo and Racing on the east side of the Cascades.

After the rebuilding, there were still some problems left with the facility.  With the new grandstand the bucking chutes now were too far away from the grandstands.  The corrals that held stock for the show were in poor shape and needed to be relocated behind the bucking chutes.  Again the Roundup made a big commitment and began to tear down the old bleachers and the existing corrals.  The board and many other volunteers began to rebuild the east side facility.  A modern wire feed welder was bought by the Roundup and donated to the High School, and the students at the High School built frames for the new portable bleachers.  The Roundup bought the materials.  Ochoco Lumber Company sold lumber for the seats and the corrals at a special price and we had new corrals and portable bleachers for the facility at a fraction of the cost it would had they been bought them outside.

During the 1980’s many new events appeared.  Nathan Puckett initiated a Sunday animal scramble.  All kinds of animals were released in the arena and several hundred youngsters tried to catch them.

In 1986 the Board of Directors was expanded to 17 members.  This year also saw the beginning of the Beauty and the Beast contest.  This incorporated the Queen’s selection with a Team Branding Contest. This drew good crowds, and helped offset the cost of renting the indoor arena for the Queen Selection.

Also, in 1986, there was a concentrated effort to try and bring the Roundup “downtown” for the people of Prineville.  The Saturday before the show, the Roundup blocked off main street between North 1st and North 3rd streets and set up an old time town complete with blacksmith’s shop, jail, and of course a saloon.  This day was topped off by the “Dusty Chaps” gang holding up the bank. (The old Bank of Crook County, now the Bowman Museum)

The desperado’s made off with the loot, but our trusty sheriff Jim (The honorable James O Smith) returned the 2 leaders of the group and held them in jail.  The local youngsters tormented these hoodlum’s until the rest of the bad guys returned and broke them out of Jail.  Later that same day, the Dusty Chaps Gang, also known as the Roundup Renegades held up the Crooked River Dinner Train.

In 1989 the Roundup purchased 40 portable stalls which were located at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds and moved them to Prineville. This made it possible to stall all of the race horses in actual stalls, and it also helped to make the Fairgounds the “Horse Capitol” of Central Oregon, as Prineville now had the only facility with stalls for large horse events.

In 1991 the Roundup Assn. contributed $1000 over five years to the Prineville Hospital Building Fund.

1991 was also a major year for renovations and work at the Fairgrounds.  Through connections with other race tracks in Oregon, the Roundup was able to have donated enough lights to relight the race track.  A deal was cut with Crook County to trade power poles they had donated to them for enough 6×6 timbers to build the Livestock Events Center.  The power poles were used on the race track and both groups ended up with exactly what they needed. Also in 1991 the box seating in the main grandstand was replaced.  Back in 1979 when the new grandstand was constructed it was built with funds that were cut from the Indoor Arena project.  The grandstand was rebuilt, but there were no funds left to replace the box seats.  The one’s from the old grandstand were put in place and had remained there until 1991.  Again, in co-operation with Crook County, the Roundup Assn. had frames built by Midway Equipment Co. and bought lumber from Ochoco Sawmill and the Roundup Board and other volunteers installed the seating.  The fairgrounds had top rate seating and the cost to Crook County was minimal.

In 1992 the Roundup and the Prineville Fire Department worked to solve a communications problem during the race meet.  If a problem occurred, how do the racing officials contact the ambulance to get them exactly where they need to be as fast as possible.  The Fire Department also had a need for more portable radio’s the rest of the year.  To solve this problem, the Roundup donated $2000 to the Prineville Fire Department for the purchase of portable radio’s and the Fire Department would then make them available to the Roundup for use during the Races and Rodeo each year.  The Fire Department had the use of them for the rest of the year.      In 1993 the paddock was rebuilt.  Crown Pacific Sawmill donated the lumber and the Roundup furnished the labor.  1993 also saw the beginning of a relationship between the Roundup and the local American Legion Baseball Team.  The Roundup became the major sponsor for the team and the team members are asked to help the board prepare for the Roundup each year.

1993 was special to the Roundup as they retired the old Roundup Flag to the “Cowboys Then and Now Museum in Portland.  The Flag still proudly hangs, reminding all who see it of the unique history of the event.

During 1993 another major change was in store.  A band of notorious honey bee’s had made Cain Hall their permanent home.  After numerous attempts to lure them away, put out contracts on them, and an unsuccessful attempt at “dead or alive” type tactics, it was decided that Cain Hall was not worth saving, and the Rodeo office was moved into the Parimutuel Building.  Shortly after the move, Cain Hall was demolished.

1993 saw the 100th anniversary of the Meek Wagon Train, with participants arriving into Prineville through the Fairgrounds.  This group also joined in the Roundup Parade, resulting in one of the longest parades ever.

Pride was running high in 1993 and 1994 as both years the “Miss Rodeo Oregon” was a former member of the Roundup Court.  Michelle Holliday was the 1993 Miss Rodeo Oregon, and Kitty Sharp was the holder of the title in 1994.

The 1994 Roundup was excellent in many ways, but it also was a rather sobering experience in others.  Improvements in the equipment used to work the track made for excellent Horse Racing.  Changes in the Rodeo made for an excellent show, with the new announcer Zoop Dove adding much to the show. On Wednesday night, shortly before the show was to begin, tragedy struck in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.  Nine members of the Prineville Hot Shot crew lost their lives, and the 1994 Roundup would be dedicated to them and to the community that mourned the loss.  Each and every person who attended the Roundup, Parade, or Races was touched in some way by the tragic loss.  Many dignitaries attended the annual Parade, including the Governor’s of Oregon and Colorado.  Now and forever, the loss of these young people will be what is remembered the most of the 1994 Roundup.

1995 is the Golden Anniversary, and will be remembered for much more.  Many changes are in store for the Roundup.  A new sound contractor will also provide a state of the art computerized scoreboard for the show.  The sound will be greatly improved with a professional sound technician on duty during every event.  Zoop Dove will return as the Rodeo announcer, along with Growney Brother’s Rodeo Livestock.

1995 saw the first rain in many years, with a regular downpour during the Sunday rodeo preformance.  The races had been held under threatening skies all week long.  This weather problem, coupled with the failure of a dance after the races each night put the Roundup into a slight cash pinch.

1995 saw Governor Kitshauber veto HB3411 which provided much needed financial support to the small race meets. While many were disapointed with this veto, a second avenue, HB5035 provided some additional funding and many feel it will lay the ground work for the resurgence of horse racing, not just here in Prineville, but accross the entire state.

1996 was a hot year for the Roundup, and we mean like over 100 degree’s.  The show started the week on an up note, with the first 3 nights of racing being up in attendance, handle, and program sales, but then came the “Bull Bash Bust of 1996”.  While Roundup organizers were putting on Rodeo in 100 degree heat, a Bull Bash was being held on Saturday evening in Redmond, directly pulling against both our Rodeo and Race.  With the hot days, ticket sales at the Rodeo took a drop, while attendance and handle were down for the Saturday night races. The final results showed that the Bull Bash suffered as much as the Roundup, and the WarPaint Gang survived to ride again.

Races in 1996 were ran at a bottom  purse of $1250 and a top of $3000 for the Woodward Memorial.  While we will not look back at the races as a huge success, it will be noted that 1996 was the start of the turn around in horse racing.  Funds from HB5035 provided a huge boost to the Roundup, and put the Horsemen  back into a positive frame of mind.

1997 was another year of trying to get the legislature to a pass a bill mitigating the results of the lottery on horse racing.  Again, the race industry was able to convince the legislature to pass a bill that would help the industry recover from the effects of the lottery, but again, Governor Kitshauber did his veto trick on it, after saying that he would support it.  Later on, he did offer to support E-Board action that eventually provided $60,000 in funding for the races in 1998 and in 1999.

The Roundup was a huge success in 1997.  While the Rodeo continued to suffer from lack of attendance, the Races, with the support of HB5035 money were profitable to an extent that it allowed the board to recover from financial strain of 1996.  This would end up being the last time we would run the Rodeo in conjunction with the Races.  It was felt that the event had grown to a level that the two events were taking away from each other, rather than helping each other.  This was not an easy decision for the board.  There were some tempers that flared, and many ideas that were discussed before the final decision was made in August request dates from the Fairboard of June 23-27-28 for the 1998 Rodeo, and July 8-9-10-11 for the 1998 Races.

The Rodeo dates had a problem.  There was a direct conflict with 2 livestock shows and the Rockhound Pow Wow.  Scheduled in the outdoor arena during the requested dates was a mud bog.  The Fairboard appeared to be inflexable in wanting to help the Roundup achieve the split.  Letters were drafted requesting the dates for both 1998 and 1999 and they were presented to the Fairboard at their October 10 meeting.  It was a heated discussion, but afterwards, it was evident that there was a part of the Fairboard that was willing to try and help us accomplish the new dates.  It would cost another $2500 for 1 year to pay of f either the PI or the Mud Bog, it never was clear who.  This would be a 1 time fee for the dates, as per our contract we have the right to move dates if we notify the Fairboard within 30 days of the end of our event.

Planning went into effect to add new lights to the arena and to figure out how to handle such things as parking on the grounds with all of the other functions taking place at the same time.  It was like trying to re write the entire operations program.  John Growney would again be the stock contractor.  Instead of coming here from St. Paul, he would come here prior to St. Paul.  Steve Kenyon of Pendleton would be the Announcer,

Board of Directors

When the talk of a rodeo in Prineville began, a lot of men stepped forward willing to help put on a show.  All that was needed was a willingness to work.  The original directors were Orville Yancey, Howard Mayfield, Jerry Breese, Ray Graffenberger, Brick Hagadorn, Alvin Grimes, Buck McKinnon, Herm Meder, Remey Cox, Otto Hopper, Cecil Stearns, Emery Carlin, Lance Smith, Sumner Houston, and Jess Cain.

Over the years there have been lots of families who carry on the tradition of Rodeo. Don Yancey was a second generation board member.  Duaine and Mike Mizer both served. Since the Roundup was formed, with the exception of one year there has been a Smith on the board.  Lance on the original board, Art from 1956 until 1983, Steve for 1 year, and Doug from 1976 until the present.

Wayne Houston and Harry Welch both were board members who had daughters that served on the Court, 3 each! There are others, but 3 is currently the record.

In 1982 Bill Steelhamer was resigning from the board.  At the annual stockholders meeting Alvin Grimes nominated Berna, Bill’s wife to replace him.  Berna was elected and became the first female member.  I don’t think this was quite what Bill had in mind, but Berna served her 3 year term, and they became the first “husband and wife” team to be honored together as Grand Marshal of the parade.

Many of the past directors have been honored as the Grand Marshal of the Roundup Parade, along with others in the community that have been honored for special contributions to the community.  This honor is for helping the community and the Roundup.  I don’t know of anyone who has earned this honor without being involved in both.

There are many stories that have been circulated about the board of directors.  Keep in mind that for 3 weeks prior to the show each year these people spend most of their free time at the fairgrounds trying to prepare for the event.  They build a bond among themselves and are known to pull pranks on each other.  I remember as a kid when my older brother and I were constantly putting thumb tacks in the seat of Orrin Mills’ cadillac.  On the same note, after the show, Orrin would take us kids and we would search the carnival grounds for lost coins.  I still wonder why we would find only pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters, and Orrin would only find silver dollars…..makes one wonder.

When a Grand Marshal is picked for the Roundup, many times we get to hear the stories  from the time they were on the board and the things they did, and wow, how times have changed.  Many of these stories are better left untold, but if you can get one of the grand marshals talking, let them enlighten you, they are pro’s at it.

Below is a listing of those who have served on the board.


A local Dr. and Horseman who served on the board for 5 years.  Dr. Adkisson was the Grand Marshal in 1966.


Tom served on the board for 3 years. Tom’s experience in horse racing helped the board develop the racing program that now exists. Tom still gives the current board valuable insight on racing.  Tom ran race horses, including “Jet Edward”, an outstanding sire and winner of the Santa Anita Handicap.


Vern served on the board for 1 year.


Floyd was a director for 3 years.  He is one of the stockholders of the organization and was the Grand Marshal in 1983.


Gerald served on the board for 4 years.  The Barrett’s had some of the finest racing Quarter Horses on the west coast. Gerald was instrumental in the Roundup’s racing program.


Jerry came on the board in 1989.  He is what would be called an all around cowboy.  Jerry works all around the event to insure its success.  There is not an area that he doesn’t know something about, and not a job he couldn’t do.  Jerry currently serves as a Steward during the Races and works the catch pen gate during the rodeo.


Gerry served on the board for 13 years, 6 times holding the office of treasurer.  One of his major contributions to the board was to develop the basic accounting procedures to keep track of the racing revenue and payout. His brother Casey would come up to the Roundup each year from San Diego with a computer to calculate the racing payout.


Chuck was the manager of the local Pacific Power office.  Chuck served on the board for 8 years and was Vice President in 1971.


Leonard was on the board for 5 years.  He had a great insight into Rodeo an helped the board much.


Jerry is the only surviving member of the original board of directors.  Jerry served on the board for 9 years and was President in 1952.  Jerry was the Grand Marshal in 1984.


Shelly is the Secretary of the 1995 Roundup.  This is her first year on the board of directors.  She works for the Prineville Bank.  She is familiar with Rodeo and will be a great addition to the board.


Kirk served on the board for 1 year.  A job transfer force him to resign.


Stew is one of the current board member, having came on the board in 1989. Stew is a hard worker and is able to do just about anything that needs to be done.


Jess is considered the father of the Roundup.  Jess served on the board for 8 years. He was treasure and manager for all of the 8 years.  He was the Grand Marshal in 1954 and in 1961.  In 1962, after his death there was no grand marshal, as the parade was a tribute to his work with the Roundup.


Cecil served on the board during the 1961 Roundup.


Jack served on the board for 1 year.


Served on the board for 7 years, spanning the 1946-1952 time frame. Emery was one of the original board members.


Byron is a current board member, having served since 1988.  Byron is qualified to do many different functions, which makes him a very important part of the board.  Byron has served as outrider and Parimutuel manager during the races, and works the roping chutes during the Rodeo.  Byron is Vice President of the 1995 Roundup.


Brian served on the board for two years, but still comes back every year to help with the show.  Brian works on track maintenance and will be seen in the area of the starting gate during most every race.  Brain is a big part of putting the show on each year, and doesn’t care what job he has to do to make it a success.


Shawn came on the board in 1991.  Shawn is a local rancher, roper and part time farmer.  He brings a lot of practicle experience to the board.  He works on the roping chute during the rodeo and is track superintendent during the races.  Shawn spends a lot of time in preparation for the event and is known for his long winded presentations to the board.


Remey was a director for 3 years, 1946-1948.


Lottie served on the board for 2 years, but had been involved earlier, reviewing the award for being the Hardest Working Non Board Member in 1987.  Lottie worked hard as a board member, but was forced to resign due to a move to Texas.


Served on the board for 11 years. Snoden was President in 1978 and 1979, and Vice President in 1977.  In 1979, as the President, Snoden oversaw the Roundup’s part of the rebuilding of the facilities.  Snoden was Grand Marshal of the 1997 Crooked River Roundup.


Ray served on the board for 11 years.  He added much input on the Rodeo and became a legend for his ability to keep the Jockey in line as Jockey Room Custodian. (all he had to do was to step on the scales and ask “Any questions?”) Ray was a local timber faller and always has a few head of bucking horses hanging around.


Steve served on the board for 5 years.  He is a local attorney and worked on admissions and program sales.  Steve did a good job of keeping the board free of legal problems, and handled many a situation in an excellent manner.


Served as a director for 2 years.


Dale was a director for 5 years, but spent many more volunteering his time to the Roundup.  Dale was Grand Marshal in 1994.  The Fuller’s are an example of how families are involved in the Roundup.  Dorothy has served for many years as the paymaster of purses for the Roundup Races. Between the two of them, they have donated countless hours to the Roundup. Dale was honored as the Grand Marshal of the 1996 Crooked River Roundup.


Kay has served for many years as the Rodeo Chairman and Arena Director for the Rodeo. He is also a very capable outrider during the races.  Kay has served on the board since 1982, and he is still alive today. He was President in 1987,1988, and 1989.


Martie came on the board in 1985 and served for 6 years. During that time she helped organize all of the old information that the “guy’s” just left lying around.  It is her to thank that the history of the Roundup is somewhat well preserved. Martie is again helping out with the Roundup by answering phone call’s and relaying messages to the directors.  She is a big part of keeping the show alive and kicking during the last decade.


Don was on the board for 4 years.  Don ran the Prineville Bakery at the time he was on the board.  He resigned after moving to Mitchell to run his own ranch, but has continued to be a supporter of the Roundup.


Carl served 6 years on the board. Carl was one of the people you could give a job to, any job, and it would be done well.  Hard work and Carl were one and the same.


Ray was a local rancher who served on the board of directors from 1946 until 1968. 23 years.  That is a long time and one heck of a lot of time to volunteer for any event.  Ray was the Grand Marshal of the 1974 Roundup. Ray definitely was one of the founding fathers of the Roundup.


Alvin served as president of the Roundup 6 times.  He was an original board member and served for many 20 years.  He loved rodeo and spent a heck of a lot of his time at the fairgrounds.  The story is that during the Roundup, he and others would set up cots in the rodeo office and sleep there.  One of Alvin’s biggest accomplishments while on the board was to influence others to join.  Without succession, the Roundup would have died a long time ago. Alvin served as fairgrounds manager for a while in the late 1970’s, building a start for the facilities we have to enjoy today. He was the Grand Marshal in 1975.


Fred was a director for 9 years. He served as manager of the show during 1954 and 1955. Fred led the parade in 1955 as manager and Grand Marshal.


Clyde served on the board for 18 years covering the 1950 to 1967 time frame. Clyde was known as a hard worker who could handle any task given to him.


Brick Hagadorn was a member of the original board of directors, serving 3 years on the board. (1946-1948)


Walt served on the board of directors for 5 years.  He was treasurer for 2, and vice-president in 1968.  Walt ran a local fuel distributorship for many years.


Chuck joined the board in 1990.  He was President of the Roundup in 1990.  Chuck has been head of the concession committee for most of that time, and does an excellent job lining up vendors. Chuck is currently working on the first “dance” to be held in conjunction with the Roundup since the early 1970’s.


Judy has been a board member since 1989.  She has served as treasurer since 1994.  Judy has brought an incredible amount of enthusiasm to the board and many of the changes and new ideas have originated with her in some way or another.  Judy’s area of expertise include promotion, sales, and counting money.


Michelle was a member of the Rodeo Court.  After serving on the court she worked in our office and served for a two years on the board as Secretary. She represented the State of Oregon as Miss Rodeo Oregon.


Roscoe was in charge of ticket sales. His enthusiastic approach to the sales of tickets, and thoughts on selling them may have keep the Roundup alive in the early 60’s. Roscoe served on the board for 16 years.


Dick was a member of the board of directors for 6 years.  He served as President of the board in 1970.  Dick owned a local laundry at the time he was on the board, and later was elected Crook County Judge.  Dick was a former rodeo cowboy and brought that knowledge to the board.


Otto served on the board of directors for 4 years, 1946-1948.


Mr. Houk served on the board during the 1954 Roundup.


Wayne served on the board for 15 years.  Wayne was the Grand Marshal of the 1979 Roundup.  Wayne was a local rancher and always around when there was work to be done.


Roger served on the board of directors for 4 years.  He was President of the board in 1974.  Roger was a local rancher at the time he served on the board.


Bert served on the board for 4 years.  He was secretary for 3 of those years.  Burt represented the 1st Interstate Bank on the board.


Dick served on the board for 3 years.


Mr. Keller was a director for 1 year in 1971.


Bob has been a director since 1989.  Bob has help with promotions and admissions.  He has made his store available to assist the Roundup in sales. In 1993 when the “Great Honey Bee” invasion made it unsafe to sell tickets at Cain Hall, Bob moved the sales to Ochoco Thriftway and helped the board work through a tough time.


Larry served on the board for 10 years. He is regarded as one of the finest horsemen to have served on the board.  Larry served as a pickup man in the rodeo and an outrider during the racing.  Look for him to be still helping out during the “Golden Edition” this year.


Eddie served on the board two different times, with a total term of 11 years.  Eddie was the secretary for 3 years and was selected Grand Marshal of the show in 1987. Eddie owned Prineville Men’s Wear while he served on the board.


Jim was a director for 11 years.  He served as a legal advisor and was always regarded as the level head that kept the board out of trouble.  Jim worked hard on the admissions side of the show.


Mr. Lakin was a director for 3 years.


Gary joined the board in 1990.  Gary is a teacher in the local schools.  He is also an experience Rodeo contestant.  Gary works as clerk of scales and also helps tabulate the scores from the roughstock judges during the rodeo.


Norm served on the board for 4 years.  He specialized in running and organizing the roping chutes during the rodeo and served as Jockey Room manager during the races.  Norm and his wife Edie are still very involved in the Roundup.  Edie has been putting on the Queen’s Luncheon after the Parade each year for nearly 10 years.  Edie takes it upon herself to see that the board members eat at least one meal each evening.  The Maley family is a big part of our event each year.

***PAT MARKS (Ranger Pate)

Pat served as our media representative.  Pat has been involved in horse racing and provides insight into that side of the show as well as working on the electronic media advertising.  Pat is chairman of the advertising committee.  He has served on the board since 1986.


Joe was a director for 5 years.


Howard was a member of the original board of directors, serving on the board for 15 years.


Art served on the board for 1 year, 1964.  Art was always a big supporter of the Roundup.  He was selected as Grand Marshal in 1976. Art was owner of a local grocery store.


Herm was a member of the original board of directors. He served 20 years on the board.  Herm was a hard worker who always was ready when a job needed to be done. Herm was the manager for the Roundup in 1961.


Duaine was a hard worker who had a knack for getting things done.  He was President in 1976 and 1977.  Duaine built and reworked many of the facilities that are now in use at the fairgrounds.  He was the kind of person who could and would do anything needed to make the show a success.  Duaine is honored by the board each year with the running of the “Mizer Memorial” Quarter Horse race. Duiane served on the board 9 years.


Mike came on the board in 1977.  He served for 8 years.  Mike played a big part in the rebuilding process in 1979 and 1980.  He was President of the board in 1982.


Jim served on the board for 4 years.  Jim was instrumental in negotiating the deal that would give the grounds to the County in 1972.  When the board has any legal problems, we still look to Jim for direction.


Mark is the only second generation attorney to serve on the board.  He is the son of Jim.  After only being on the board for 2 years, Mark moved his practice, and was forced to resign.


Pat came on the board in 1982.  He served as President for 2 years.  He has now served 14 years and is still going.  Pat works in the roping chutes during the rodeo and in a steward during the horse racing.  He is also very involved in preparation for the event each year.


Otis served on the board for 4 years.


Margie served on the board for 1 year in 1985.


Orrin, a retired rancher from the Suplee area was always around the grounds.  Orrin served as treasurer and was always playing a joke on someone. Orrin was President in 1953.  He served on the board a total of 18 years. Orrin served as Grand Marshal in 1967.


Donna joined the board in 1989.  Donna took the rest of the board by storm.  I don’t think we have every had a board member come on and do so much with so much enthusiasm.  This lovely and talented young lady was involved in just about every aspect of the Roundup, and was also serving as the board secretary.  Donna left her position on the board after 6 years to spend more time with her families activities, but remains very active in the show.


Mike was elected to the board in 1991.  He has served as Parimutuel Manager for most of the time he has served.  Mike is the current President of the Roundup, having served in this position the last 2 years.  Mike is a hard worker and a darn good organizer.  Mike doesn’t have a cowboy hat, so if anyone can find an old one, please drop it off at his office.


Alan served on the board for 2 years.


Jim was a director for 7 years.  He was Vice President in 1970.


Jim was a director for 2 years, 1967 and 1968.


Chuck was a director for 2 years in the mid 60’s.


Linda joined the board in 1992.  She has worked in sales and general office duties including ticket sales.  She is very important in keeping the office running prior to the show.  She also is involved in the parade organization.  She was selected as the Hardest Working Board Member in 1992.


Dick served on the board for 5 years. He held the office of Secretary in 1971 and 1975.


Norval served as a director for 3 years in the late 50’s.


Jerry works admissions for the Roundup.  He is the manager of the City of Prineville Railway.  He brings to the board of directors an outstanding view of items from a business side, as well as previous experience with a rodeo in Central Washington.  Jerry has been on the board since 1989.


Warren was one of the original board members.  He sold the ground to the Roundup in 1946.  He served on the board of directors for 3 years.


Mr. Reynolds served on the board in 1961 and 1962.


John served on the board for 7 years.  He was involved both in the racing and rodeo programs.  John was the Vice President in 1978.  John was only one of the many members of the Rhoden family who have supported and helped the Crooked River Roundup since its inception back in 1946.


Hugh served on the board for 4 years.  He designed and built the starting gate that has been used since the start of Parimutuel racing here in Prineville.


Gary served on the board of directors for 3 years in the early 60’s. Gary owned and operated Erickson’s Dept. Store in Prineville.


Dave served on the board for 4 years in the 1980’s.


Doug served on the board for 1 year as a director.


Rob served on the board for 4 years in the 1980’s. Rob was responsible for turning the concession sells around for the Roundup, allowing the show to remain profitable despite some lean years.


Rob served on the board in the late 1980’s for 2 years.


Dick was a member of the board for 2 years. At the time, he was President of the newly formed Prineville Bank.


Joe was President of the board in 1956 and 1957.  He was a member of the original board and served a total of 25 years. Joe was in charge of redesigning the roping and bucking in chutes in 1972 and 1973. Joe served on the board from 1946-1973.  He was a Post / Paulina area rancher.


Hank is a rodeo contestant that you may have seen participate in previous Roundup’s.  He is a local businessman who is currently serving his first year on the board.  Hank is chairman of the sales committee.


Bud is the first member of the board of directors to serve after being selected Grand Marshal of the event.  Bud was the Grand Marshal of the 1993 show and then was elected to the board in 1994.  If you have been involved in horse racing in Oregon, then you know the who Bud is.  He was one of the outstanding jockey’s on the west coast, served as a director of the Jockey’s Guild, and was Supervisor of Horse Racing for the State of Oregon.  He served as Chief Steward for the State of Oregon for many years.  He is one of the most important pieces to have created the “Oregon Fair’s Summer Circuit” of horse racing.  He helps guide the Roundup’s racing activities and brings years of experience to the program.  His wife Gloria is also very involved and help’s in the race office.


Jerry served on the board for 11 years.  His wife Doris sold tickets from Bowman Museum for many of those years.  Jerry represented the Hudspeth Pine stock while on the board.  Jerry was a hard worker and was always around to help with any task that needed to be done.  Jerry is still involved with the Roundup, only he wears a different uniform, that of a county sheriff.


Art served on the board for 25 years.  He was an outrider and helped pickup bucking stock in the arena during the rodeo.  He was known well for his ability to work around horses and also was a big part getting the grounds in shape for the show each year. He was President of the Board in 1959.  Following his death in 1987, the board of directors, along with the Smith family, helped to establish the entrance arch going into the fairgrounds off of South Main.  Each year the “Art Smith Memorial” race is ran in his memory.


Doug has served on the board since 1977.  He has served as President during 4 of those years. Doug is the Director of Racing for the show.  Doug is employed by Les Schwab Tires in Prineville.  He is Art Smith’s son, and Lance Smith’s great-nephew.  This puts a member of the Smith family on the board of directors for each of the 50 years the show has been in existence.  His tie to the Roundup trace’s back to when he was barely old enough to walk, and his mother and dad would take the family over to the “Roundup Grounds” to move sprinkler pipe and help prepare for the show.


Jim Smith served on the board for 6 years.  Jim was President in 1990, and was the recipient of the John Justin Standard of the West award in 1989.  Jim worked hard to control entrance to the Roundup, saving the Board many lost admissions.  Jim is the Editor of the Central Oregon in Prineville and his input helped to modernize the advertising and sales portions of the show.


Lance was a member of the original board of directors.  He served on the board for 16 years, retiring in 1961.  Lance was known for his skills with a hammer, saw, and a practical joke.  Lance’s skills and leadership helped the Roundup grow into the excellent show it is regarded as today. Lance was a local rancher at the time he served on the board.  He served as Vice President in 1957.


Steve served on the board during the 1984 Roundup, but you will see him helping every year.  He always schedules vacation time to come to Prineville and help with the Roundup.  Steve is very knowledgeable about the operations of a racetrack, having worked on the track at both Portland Meadows and Salem.  Steve is manager of the Les Schwab Tire Center in Paradise, California.


Don served on the board from 1950-1956.  He served as fair manager later on.  He was a Powell Butte farmer.


Dave Stalker served on the Board for 1 year in the media position that was established in the 1980’s.  Dave was a radio personality, and was excellent in helping the Roundup attempt to open up the Bend market. Dave served as our race announcer for 3 years.


Berna was the first lady to serve on the board.  She served for three years, and held the office of secretary for each of those years.  She was very active in ticket sales, having sold tickets from the Bowman Museum for many years prior to her service on the board of directors.  Berna was the Grand Marshal of the event in 1990 along with her husband Bill.


Bill was a member of the board for 7 years.  He served as Secretary in 1977, and Vice-President in 1979.  Bill was honored as the Grand Marshal in 1990, being selected along with his wife Berna.


Tom served on the board of directors during the 1973 show.


Cecil Stearns served on the board for 11 years.  He was a local rancher and helped to develop the show into what it is today.


Pete was on the board of directors for 16 years.  He was President of the board in 1971.  Pete served a stint as manager of the Fairgrounds, holding this position during the 1979 fairground rebuilding.  Pete has spent his entire life around livestock, either as a rodeo contestant, rancher, fairgrounds manager, or running various livestock sales in the northwest.  Pete was our 1989 Roundup Grand Marshal.


Marv served on the board for 1 year.  He was representing the First Interstate Bank’s stock.  He left the board due to a job transfer.


Von came on the board in 1978, serving 7 years until he resigned to spend more time with his family.  Von served during the great rebuild, and a break was greatly deserved.  He was manager of the US Bank in Prineville at the time he came on the board.  Later, he became Credit Manager for Les Schwab.  Von was President of the board in 1983 and 1984.


Gil Ticolat served on the board of directors for 2 years.  Gil was a local rancher and cattle buyer at the time he served on the board.


Stu served for 4 years.  he was treasurer for 3 of those years.


Otis Van Blaircom served on the board of directors from 1963-1965.  He served 2 of those years as the secretary of the board.


Kirk served on the board of directors in 1976.


Art served on the board for 3 years.  He was the owner of a local western store called the Ranch Outfitters.  Art was in charge of the advertising during his tenure and came up with some real creative ideas.


Phil, along with his wife Jo served as the original manager of the parimutuel room when racing was first started.  At this time, tickets were pre-printed, hand sold, counted and then the payoff was calculated.  Phil and Jo also spent a lot of time and energy as chaperons’s for the Queen and Court.  Phil is a Powell Butte rancher and businessman.  He served on the board for 20 years.  Phil and Jo were honored as the Grand Marshals of the 1991 Roundup.


Harry served on the board of directors for 9 years.  He was President for 5 years.  He was our Grand Marshal for the 1986 Roundup.  Harry was known for his management abilities.  Harry was in charge at a time when the show was short on cash, and his leadership during the time parimutuel racing was started gave the Roundup new revenue sources and a good base from which to again begin to grow.


Ted served on the board as secretary during the 1975 Roundup.  He was a field man for First Interstate bank.


Walt is a local Dentist who served 8 years on the Roundup board of directors.  Walt’s office served as a sales office for halters for the races for many years.  Walt has always been a supporter of the Roundup.  In 1975, Walt was President of the Crooked River Roundup Assn.


Greg served on the board for 3 years.  He was working at Clear Pine Molding at the time.  Greg worked hard on promotions and brought many new ideas to the board.


Don was on the board for a total of 8 years.  He first came on the board in 1949 and left in 1953.  He came back in 1964 and served a 3 year term.  Don was the owner of the local packing house and later served as the field man for the US Bank.  Don was honored as Grand Marshal of the 1992 Crooked River Roundup.


Orivlle Yancey was on the original board of directors. He served for 3 years.(1946-1948)